EmailRSSFacebookTwitterCommunity Voice
Sign into My Dashboard

Go To Search
City GovernmentDepartmentsOur CommunityI Want To
Click to Home
City Attorney
Prohibited From Giving Public Legal Advice
Notice: The city attorney's client is the legal entity of the City of Burlington. City attorneys and staff are prohibited from providing legal advice to the public or to parties other than the municipal corporation of the City of Burlington.

Responsibilities to the City
The City Attorney's Office serves the public interest by providing the City of Burlington with affordable, high quality proactive legal advice and representation in order to avoid unnecessary litigation. The city attorney provides legal assistance to the city, including:
  • Advice to departments, the mayor, and council
  • Representation in legal matters
  • Drafting or approval of legal documents, contracts, ordinances, and resolutions
  • Prosecution in Municipal Court of all misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases under city ordinances

The City Attorney's Office develops and maintains standardized city contracts as well as participating as counsel in real estate transactions.

Additional Services
The City Attorney's Office handles a full range of environmental issues, including the Shoreline Management Act, water resources, and long-term policy development.

The City Attorney's Office represents the City in a wide range of issues including litigation and other legal matters that involve the City.

Civil vs. Criminal Matters
In addition to the civil matters described above, the City Attorney's Office also handles prosecution of criminal and civil infractions charged in the Burlington Municipal Cout.

Contact Information
For information concerning any legal matter involving the city, including criminal cases, contact the City Attorney's Office and you will be directed to the appropriate party. This includes claims for damages against the city, nuisance complaints, information about city ordinances, or any other civil matter.

If you are low income and need assistance and the matter is not a city issue, you can obtain free legal assistance by contacting CLEAR or Community Action of Skagit County. These agencies are not affiliated with the City of Burlington.