Vacation Checks | Security Checks
Security checks on your home are offered free to citizens of the City of Burlington.
Security check forms are available from the Burlington Police Department during business hours, or you can click here to fill out an online form.
Tips for Securing Your Home before a Vacation
Thieves look for targets of opportunity. There are many things you can do to avoid becoming one of the victims, especially when you are going to be away from your home for an extended period of time.
- Arrange for the Burlington Police Department 'Citizens on Patrol' (COP) unit to check your house while you are away.
- Have your mail and deliveries picked up by your neighbor or someone you trust.
- Leave a car in the driveway. If you cannot leave your car, ask a trusted neighbor to park in your driveway while you are away.
- Check all windows and doors throughout the house - including the garage, basement and second floor - to make sure they are secure. These areas are often forgotten and make easy access into your home.
- Arrange with neighbors you can trust to check your house regularly. Leave them a number where you can be reached.
- Don't tell everyone about your vacation plans.
- Set up lights, inside and outside, to turn off and on with a timer.
Before leaving make an inventory of your property, listing all serial numbers and model numbers available. Use an engraver to mark you belongings with your driver's license number or any other personal numbers.
Finding Your Home Broken Into
In the worst case scenario, should you return to find your house has been broken into, do not enter it. Call the police from a neighbor's phone or your cell phone.